The Coalition for Peace in Africa (COPA) will in the period 21st to 25th November 2016 in Nairobi, Kenya facilitate a Training of Trainers course in peacebuilding and conflict transformation. The training will have two sessions with the first dealing with Understanding of Conflict and the second focussing on skills and knowledge of an effective trainer.
Specific areas of focus;
- Understanding Conflict, Conflict analysis, Conflict management skills and peacebuiding strategies
- Introduction to Adult learning
- Exploring the roles of a facilitator/trainer
- Communication skills that enhance inclusion and respect
- Designing a training curriculum
- Facilitation skills and techniques
- Practical exercises on designing and facilitating trainings
- Exploring how learning for change takes place /Evaluating a training programme
Aims of the training
- To build participants knowledge on Understanding conflict, Conflict Analysis, Conflict Management and Peacebuilding Strategies
- To enhance participants capacities to design trainings
- To build participants knowledge and skills in facilitation skills
- To enhance participants knowledge to evaluate their training programmes
The lead facilitator will be Simon Fisher of the United Kingdom. Simon is a widely respected conflict transformation specialist and academic with extensive global experience. He is a facilitator, writer, educator and trainer who has worked in over 40 countries over the past 25 years. He has spent many years living and working in Africa, Europe, the Middle East and Asia supporting action for change. In 1991 he founded Responding to Conflict (RTC), an internationally renowned education and training organization based in Birmingham, UK, which continues to train policy makers, academics and practitioners from all over the world. Simon has been an Honorary Research Fellow at the Department of Peace Studies, University of Bradford and holds a PhD from Oxford Brookes University, where he currently lectures in the Centre for Development and Emergency Practice (CENDEP). He also teaches at universities in Zimbabwe and Cambodia.
The training charges are US$1500 to cover tuition, full board accommodation and a certificate of participation (including airport pickups and drop offs where applicable). Those wishing to make their own accommodation arrangements will be charged $1000.