A lack of communication can have far-reaching and long-lasting consequences for any relationship or organization. It can lead to misunderstandings, conflicts, and other issues that can be difficult to repair if left unresolved. In the workplace, a lack of communication can lead to decreased productivity and efficiency due to employees not understanding each other’s roles or responsibilities. Communication difficulties can also result in missed deadlines, unmet expectations, and an overall decrease in morale amongst staff. Such problems can further damage relationships between coworkers, supervisors, and even customers. In this article we have compiled a list of quotes and sayings that concisely show why lack of communication is problematic.
1. “The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” – George Bernard Shaw
This quote was first said by the Irish playwright, George Bernard Shaw in 1895 and speaks to how even when we think we have effectively communicated our message, it may not always be so straightforward and often requires multiple attempts at communicating before true understanding can take place between two or more people.
2. “The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn’t being said.” – Peter Drucker
This quote was coined by management consultant and author Peter Drucker who believed that when having a conversation with someone, truly listening to them is an essential part of effective communication. Non-verbal cues such as body language and vocal tonality can often provide insight into what is not being said but instead felt or implied by the speaker.
You may also like: Certified courses by top universities
University of California
International Organizations Management
University of Geneva
Improving Leadership in Nonprofit Organizations
University of Buffalo / SUNY
Religion, Conflict and Peace
3. “The difference between the right word and almost the right word is really a large matter—it’s the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.” – Mark Twain
This quote was created by American writer, Mark Twain who emphasizes that while it can be difficult to pick the perfect words during communication, it is a necessary skill in order to avoid misunderstandings or miscommunications. Words have power and should be chosen carefully.
4. “Communication works for those who work at it.” – John Powell
This quote was said by author and public speaker, John Powell who encourages us to put in the effort when it comes to communication. People can’t always read our minds so it is important to make sure that our message is clear and concise in order for it to be understood correctly.
5. “The most basic of all human needs is the need to understand and be understood. The best way to understand people is to listen to them.” – Ralph Nichols
This quote was first said by American speech teacher and author, Ralph Nichols, who suggests that in order for true understanding between two parties to happen communication must occur. Listening to the other person is essential in order to get the full picture and comprehend their perspective.
6. “To effectively communicate, we must realize that we are all different in the way we perceive the world and use this understanding as a guide to our communication with others.” – Anthony Robbins
This quote was said by motivational speaker, Anthony Robbins who believes that having empathy and understanding where someone else is coming from can help us better connect with them when it comes to communication. By taking into account how people perceive situations differently, it can help two parties smooth out any potential misunderstandings or disagreements.
7. “Without communication there is no relationship. Without respect, there is no love. Without trust, there is no reason to continue.” – Unknown
This quote is unknown but speaks to the importance of communication in any relationship. Effective communication means being open, honest, and transparent which are essential components for building and maintaining a healthy connection with someone else. Without these important elements, it can be difficult to sustain a relationship in the long run.
8. “Language exerts hidden power, like a moon on the tides.” – Rita Mae Brown
This phrase was created by American writer Rita Mae Brown who encourages us to be mindful of how we communicate with others because our words have power beyond what we realize. The way we talk can deeply affect those around us and should always be done thoughtfully and respectfully.
You may also like: Certified Courses for Specific Job Skills
Project Management: Professional Certificate
Google Career Certificates
Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
University of Cape Town
Business Leadership (Micromasters)
University of Queensland
Google IT Support Professional
Google Career Certificates