Course start date: September (Application deadline: Spring).
The Arab Master in Democracy and Human Rights (ArMA) is a unique cross-regional programme. It is an intensive advanced course in Human Rights and Democratic Governance with a focus on the Middle East and North Africa. It is one of the seven regional masters of the Global Campus of Human Rights, the largest network of universities working in human rights, and a leading educational organisation supported by the European Union.
This multidisciplinary programme includes lectures, seminars, workshops, field work, skill-building sessions and individual research.
Students are taught in a multicultural environment by leading academics from ArMA partner universities, Saint Joseph University (Lebanon), Birzeit University (Palestine), the International University of Rabat (Morocco), the University of Carthage (Tunisia) and the University of Southern Denmark, as well as experts from the Danish Institute for Human Rights, and international organisations.
The curriculum prepares participants for working in national, international, governmental, inter-governmental and non-governmental organisations as well as research institutions dealing with human rights and democratic governance.
ArMA is both a residential and an exchange programme. It offers a one-year and a two-year track depending on the candidate’s academic background. The one-year track is divided into three periods. The first semester is organised at Saint Joseph University of Beirut in Lebanon from September to January. The second semester in one of the partner universities in Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, Palestine or Tunisia, from February to June. And the summer period is organised in Beirut from June until graduation.
- Four thematic modules
- Democracy and Human Rights
- Rule of Law and Constitutional Protection of Human Rights:
- Human Rights Protection Mechanisms
- Political Transitions to Democracy
- Applied module
- Applied Research in Democracy and Human Rights
- Human Rights Project Design
- Foundational courses
- Political Sociology of the Arab World
- International Law and Human Rights
- Specialisation courses
- Children Rights
- Human Rights in Armed Conflict
- Refugees, Migrants and Mobility Rights.
- Gender Policies and Women’s Rights
- An advanced course in the field of democracy and human rights;
- An intensive learning experience with policy and action-oriented features;
- An opportunity to interact and learn from academics, experts, practitioners and peers from over 15 countries;
- Tailored to your needs and career goals;
- Develops your research and practical skills in the field of human rights and democratic governance.
- Offers cross-regional mobility, from Beirut (Lebanon) to a partner university across the Arab World.
- The foundation for a successful career in national, international, and non-governmental organisations.
- Full-time pace for 1 or 2 year.
- 60-120 European credits depending on your academic background.
- Scholarship programme based on merit and needs.
- Application deadline in Spring. Check our website.
- September-January: The first semester is comprised of four modules and takes place at Saint Joseph University in Beirut.
- February-June: During the second semester, students get to study at one of the partner universities in Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, Palestine and Tunisia. They can follow lectures or seminars in the host university while researching and completing a thesis based on field work or an internship.
- Summer: During this period, students get to develop their practical and professional skills through hands-on activities and advanced seminars, defend their thesis and graduate.
Learn more from our Alumni
“ARMA was an exceptional opportunity to learn, debate and interact with fascinating people from all over the world. Often allowing each of us to not only to gain first hand insights into international debates and experiences, but also to do it in a cognitively stimulating and challenging environment. If you have not experienced anything like it, it is a must.” (cohort 2017-2018)
About Saint Joseph University of Beirut (USJ)
- Saint-Joseph University of Beirut of Beirut (USJ) is a private Lebanese university, founded in 1875.
- USJ received the unconditional accreditation by European educational accreditation institute ACQUIN in 2019.
- USJ is one of the top 20 universities in the Middle East.
About GlobalCampus of Human Rights
The Global Campus of Human Rights is an inter-disciplinary centre of academic excellence supported by the European Union. It strives to promote human rights and democracy through education, training programmes and research, and via a global network of regional hubs in Bangkok, Beirut, Buenos Aires, Pretoria, Sarajevo, Venice and Yerevan.
So, avoid missing out and register for this Master’s programme today if you wish to expand your horizons, knowledge and skills in the field of Human Rights.