|Deadline||3. March 2020|
|Level||Mid-career (3-7 years experience required)|
Your new field of activity
The church-related non-governmental organisation Asociación Pro-Búsqueda de Niñas y Niños Desaparecidos (Pro-Búsqueda) based in San Salvador has been committed to investigating cases of missing children since 1994. It makes an important contribution to moral, legal and economic reparations for families whose children were forcibly given up for adoption in El Salvador or abroad during the war and/or remain missing to this day. In addition to the actual search and the facilitation of reunions, Pro-Búsqueda provides information at national and international level on how to come to terms with the crimes of the past. Among other things, Pro-Búsqueda works in the national “Comisión de trabajo pro memoria histórica de El Salvador”.
Based on the investigation results, Pro-Búsqueda seeks to inform and raise awareness among various actors through workshops. This aims to strengthen the importance of dealing with the past and remembrance work as a prerequisite for access to justice, truth and reparation, and to create collective spaces and protective mechanisms for the preservation and further development of remembrance work.
Your work will seek above all to enhance methods and techniques of investigative work, in order to further advance the investigation of cases of crimes against humanity.
You can watch a video about the work of Pro-Búsqueda here.
You will be responsible for the following tasks:
- You will assist in the investigation of cases of missing children, among other things by conducting and systematising interviews with family members or witnesses.
- You will safeguard data, facts and evidence to document and clarify relevant cases (e.g. taking and securing DNA samples, transcribing the records of witness statements).
- You will train the team, other human rights organisations and government bodies in techniques and methods of investigative work (including GPS, ground penetrating radar, metal detectors) and oversee the implementation.
- You will promote public relations work by drawing up reports on the human rights violations committed and strengthen Pro-Búsqueda’s lobbying and advocacy work.
- Through workshops, you will raise awareness among the team, other human rights organisations and public officials for the importance of dealing with the past and remembrance work and support the activities of Pro-Búsqueda (e.g. commemoration ceremonies, discussion groups).
- You will ensure the proper disbursement and administration of funds locally in accordance with the donor guidelines and AGIAMONDO specifications. In doing so, you will work in partnership with Pro-Búsqueda.
- You have completed a university degree in one of the fields related to criminology (e.g. social sciences, psychology, forensics, law, anthropology) and you have specialised in the investigation of crimes with a further qualification.
- You have several years of professional experience in investigating crimes against humanity in civil war contexts, ideally in Latin America.
- You have expertise in georeferencing systems and are experienced in teaching methods and techniques of modern investigative work.
- You can communicate in fluent Spanish and English, verbally and in writing.
- You are an EU or Swiss citizen and identify with the goals and concerns of church development and peace work.
What AGIAMONDO offers
- Individual and thorough preparation
- A three-year contract, social security and remuneration in accordance with the
- German Development Aid Workers Act (Entwicklungshelfergesetz)
- Cultural, language or other professional training, as well as coaching and supervision, individual advice
We look forward to receiving your detailed application by 03/03/2020.